Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New World

So here I am, making yet another blog. Yep, I have been here before, making a first post on a new blog, talking about how often I will be writing in it.... and then inevitably falling through on that. I don't know, it just always seems hard to stick to something like this, knowing I'm the only one reading it. I'm the easiest person for me to let down, I guess. :)

I still don't know what I want this thing to be about. I'm working on several things right now, each of which would make interesting topics to chronicle, but I doubt highly that I will keep track of them well enough here to make it worthwhile. I already have a surgery blog, on a more appropriate website (which I just remembered I need to update today as well), and a religious discovery blog right here on Blogger. So what is left? Plenty! I am working on immersion language learning (for several different languages, mind you), drooling over volunteer-abroad programs that would allow me to spend time in Asia (one of my biggest dreams), and determined to finally pin down what I want to do with my life...

Why does it always have to be "what I want to do with my life"? What if what I want to do doesn't involve college, but I still want to go? What I really want to do with my life is pack a bag with a few essentials, put some money on my debit card, and travel. All over the world. I want to go to Japan, China, Romania, France, England, Germany, Norway, the Cayman Islands, Brasil, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Greece, Egypt... Even just traveling around the US would be spectacular. I was raised to embrace the desire for these experiences, but I lack the funding. So either some rich relative kicks off and leaves me a fortune large enough to do this, or I wait until I can get enough together for the first leg of that journey.

Every couple of years I get this bug... I need to travel. Taking frequent trips out to California has helped, and at the same time it has made things worse. Now I've got a taste for booking a flight for the next morning, hopping on the plane, and jetting halfway across the country for a weekend. And I'm hooked. I spend half of my free time right now looking up more flights, trying to find the best deals from my little airport here in South Dakota. Fortunately, I have friends and family that love the chance to pitch in and help pay for these luxuries. If not for them, I would have to spend my "trips" in a mental institution, flying on Klonopin Airlines.

So here's to hoping. Hoping that I stick with this blog enough to actually make something of it, that I get my dream of traveling around the world, that I actually learn more than just "bonjour" and "merci" with this language course. Here's to hoping this blog will at least keep enough of my sanity intact that I won't go do something profoundly stupid, to break the monotony. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment